I'm looking for a book which may be Harlequin from late 1970s or early 1980s, about a young widow of a rock and roll band member who may have committed suicide. She falls for his band mate, who has long been in love with her, and it turns out, she has a hidden singing talent. I believe the setting is at a beach house, in Florida perhaps.
I read this book as a teenager in the early 1990s. It was a paperback, but I don’t think it was a Harlequin.
- An American soldier/person of importance
- An American from an upstanding family who were sympathetic to the plight of the Native American Indians
- During a war – not sure which one, but it involved Native American Indians
- Hero and heroine marry in a traditional Native American Indian ceremony.
- Heroine is given a necklace with a carved wooden charm (I think a turtle) in lieu of a wedding ring.
- Heroine is kidnapped on her wedding night. She suffers a head injury and gets amnesia and finds out she is pregnant while imprisoned.
- The hero finds her, but she does not recognise him.
- The hero claims her and they are married in a traditional Christian ceremony.
- Heroine gives birth to their child – a girl – and regains her memory.
Other plot twists
- Heroine’s brother is fighting in the war. He secretly marries a Native American Indian known to the family. Heroine’s brother is killed in the war, and his wife dies in childbirth, and the heroine cares for their child – a son named Andrew (I think) after his father (the heroine’s brother).
- One particularly gruesome scene where a preacher is tortured and burned.
Daughter of the Sun (I thought) was the title.
Looking for a book I read as a young teen. Early 1970’s, I expect it was written in the later 1950’s or 60’s.
The book was a young adult high school romance. I remember nothing except the girl was not one of the popular girls (she may have been new in school) and her name in the book is Beth (could have been Elizabeth but she was called Beth). The boy in the story line was the popular boy in school.
Outside of Little Women, the name Beth was not one found often in books and since it is my name the basic story stuck with me.
I have searching for this book for a while. It is something I read in middle school. I’m 36 years old. The book was about a high school girl that was dating her brother’s best friend. It takes place in a state in the US where it snows and some or all of the book takes place during winter. I remember there was a window seat where she drank hot chocolate and looked out and saw him in the front yard. There was also a scene where they got into a fight and to prove himself to her he built himself a place to sleep in the snow in her front yard. I remember the Mom remarking that it was cold out there. Unfortunately I don’t remember the title or author or names of the main characters but I remember the book being well written and very age appropriate for middle school and early high school. I hope you can figure it out!! I would love to grab a copy for my home library. Thank you!
Romantic novel, heiress is raised by a Native American woman after her father runs away with her (he finds out his wife betrayed him, his second daughter isn't his, she has been having an affair, and ended up dying by her lovers hand) and dies in the wilderness. She hums a "spirit song", Greensleeves. A soldier comes to the Native American camp, she ends up falling for him, and he brings her back to civilization, to his fiance's family who happens to be her long lost sister and grandmother. Her sister doesn't like her and thinks she's a fraud, when she is actually the true heiress to everything. Her sister is also having an affair (just like her mother), she ends up dying just like her mother did.
I am looking for a 1920’s-30s romance, where the heroine earns her living being a professional letter writer, and she begins a correspondence with a young man (invalid/injured?) using the persona of an elderly motherly woman. The only other detail that I can recall is she sent the young man some women’s hats and requested that he choose the one he liked for her.
This is a historical romance book that I read before the year 2012.
It starts off with the hero and heroine in love, young and engaged. They are already having sexual encounters. They have a place where they meet up at on his estate.
The heroine goes there waiting for him, but then a worker from the estate comes on to her and tries kissing her. She starts laughing and giggling because the whole situation seems absurd to her...but when the Hero arrives he doesn’t find it funny and just automatically assumes that she has been cheating on him. He walks out and refuses to listen to her. He then leaves. And his mom calls a coach to take her home and the engagement is ended....
Then years later they see each other at a weekend house party, where all the guests are staying there. He’s extremely cold to her but still attracted to her. There’s a closet scene. I vaguely remember it.
Then his mom conspires with another man at the house party to compromise the heroine forever, as she sees that her son is falling back in love with her.
When the hero’s mom tries to expose the heroine with the other man, she opens a door and yells dramatically...it ends up being the hero and heroine in bed. So it back fired.
I don’t remember the rest. But I’d love to find and read this book again. Please help!! Thank you