A description of the book, with helpful details:
- Children’s books, maybe for ages 10 – 13 years old.
- Red cover (?) with possibly a tree on it
- Small book, probably less than 200 pages
- Main character was female (maybe 12ish years old) with a father who gave her a magical wooden box, when she opened it her and her friend were transported to another place (/world.)
- My foggy memory remembers the two kids standing next to a tree at some point in the other place.
- The girl finds out her dad has also been to the other place. He may have been a king on the other side or the kids thought he was the bad guy when he jumped through the portal (?)
I’m sorry I can’t recall anything more than this, I’m going off an 11-year-old’s mind over a decade later.