We’ve been working on solving book mysteries still 1995, and have accumulated quite a database of old queries. You can peruse the first 17 years of these archives on the Solved Mysteries and the Most Requested Books on Loganberry Books’ website to see if any ring a bell (and we highly recommend this). You can also type some keywords into the search feature at the top right of this Stump the Bookseller blog to see if any queries here look similar to yours.
If you think you remember the title, or a part of it, enter it into a used booksellers consortium such as Addall, ABE, ViaLibri or try a card catalog system like The Library of Congress or WorldCat. Sometimes one unique key word on your part or a scant description from the search results can help you identify the book. Yeah, Google can be helpful, too.
If you’re still stumped, here are some tips for submitting your query:
- Use specific details: Approximate publication year, guesses at the title, character names, quirky plot descriptions are all helpful. Just knowing that this is a big red book with pretty pictures isn’t enough, so rack your brain for some details.
- Give your Book Stumper a title: This can be a fraction of the title, character name, or plot element. Limit this to 3-5 descriptive words. For example, “Cranky Cat” is easier to remember, and more intriguing to read, than, say, “Children’s picture book about a cat.” Your Book Stumper will be posted under this title.
- Send payment: After receiving the nominal fee (via PayPal or check), your Book Stumper will be posted on our site. Any comments, questions, or solutions will be listed in the comments section of that post.
- Keeping Track: As new Stumpers come in, your Stumper may be pushed off the front page. You can still find it by entering the keycode or title of your Stumper in the search box on the top right. You can also bookmark that permalink.
- When your Stumper is solved: we will categorize the post as Solved. The original query and all its comments will stay exactly where it began, retaining the same Stumper Title that you gave it. And we’ll all do a little happy dance for you.
Greetings I am so happy I found your blog, I really found
you by error, while I was searching on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow I am here now
and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have saved it and also
added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic jo.
Is the a search tool available or do you have to scroll through each solved stumper?
The search button may be found on the top right hand corner of the web page.
I am lost. By the time I think I have figured out how to post a query or do a search for an unnamed book, I am off on some other page! Can anyone help guide me?
The search function is on the top right hand corner of the screen.
For information on how to post a Stumper, please visit
Ugh! This is one of the things that I forgot I was working on. I don’t remember my #, and when I enter my email (either one), captcha fails.
According to our records, your Stumper is 313I.